Thursday, December 15, 2011

I Like Clicking Buttons

So there was an "incident" at school.  I'm not going to share the details because they aren't really important.  Suffice to say that Danielle was stick-poking her peers and it didn't work out so well for her.  Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but all the kids involved were called into the office.

As part of this, we discovered that Danielle had set up yet another fake social media account.  This is now the third one we've caught her with, even though she was told after the first and second that she's not allowed to participate in these sites for any reason.

I am sure that to my kid I'm sort sort of meanie, and maybe even a few parents think I'm a little too strict.  The problem is, my kid doesn't make good choices with respect to the social media sites.  The first two accounts she created, she lied about her age.  On this one, she was truthful, but she did some things that exposed her personal information, and she started getting dating profiles from adult men.

One was over the age of 40.

Not good.

How did Danielle get access to a computer to set up this account?  An adult, who should have known better, thought it would be "okay" for Danielle to get online.  Needless to say, the adult has been told that Danielle  is to have no computer access under any circumstances, and we've changed the password on the offending account.

When we asked Danielle why she signed up for the matchmaking service, she told us that she really didn't know what she was doing.  Apparently, when she's online, she will click on any random link or button that pops up, not knowing or caring if it's something she should be doing.

"I just like clicking buttons!" she said brightly.

Danielle has no business playing on the Internet.

2 comments:

  1. No bueno! I've been behind and missed some. I'm caught back up now. I'm glad to hear the school is on the same page. I also wish there was a magical solution for all levels of mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're being awfully naive if you believe that she doesn't know exactly what she's doing on the internet.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments from my readers. Please be aware that comment moderation is on and there may be a delay between the time you post your remarks and the time they appear on the blog.

If you would like your comment read and/or published, sign your name to it and play nice.